Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Book 4: Divergent

I am not sure if I read this book so quickly because it was difficult to put down or because it was WAY more exciting than my current J-term course: Modern Church History. Nevertheless, I completed this book in 3 days and am not regretting the decision.

Divergent by Veronica Roth is the story of a young girl in a dystopian society on the brink of peril. As a part of their culture, she is called to search herself and choose which "faction" she would like to abide in. The decision needs to be her own and it becomes a defining part of her identity. Each faction is known for a different attribute, courage, kindness, honesty, selflessness, and knowledge. Those who do not fit into one of those categories are known as Divergent. The divergents pose a threat to the overall structure of the system, especially when power hungry evil dictators want to take control. You can see where this is going, right?

This book was a particularly fitting read this season. As a seminarian awaiting assignment, I feel as though I have taken my aptitude test and am waiting the choosing ceremony. Only, instead of it being my choice, the choice will be made for me. I am terrified of the results, especially in light of life pulling a 180 on me. I want to be brave and serve the church where ever God calls me to go, but living into the fear of the unknown tends to consume me.

“Becoming fearless isn't the point. 
That's impossible. 
It's learning how to control your fear, 
and how to be free from it.”

We will see where life leads, and til then there are two more books in this series to keep me company. 

Grade: A-

Next Book: Life of Pi

No comments:

Post a Comment